|Barnett's Rug Braiding Stand|
The following youtube videos and instructions should help anyone new to rug braiding. You can create colorful cotton or denim rugs to match the decor of any room in your home. The process is easy to learn and lots of fun.
|Easy to use spring loaded lever clamps your braid securely while you work.|
|How to braid a rug...|
- 6 to 8 yards of material.
- Rug Braiding Stand
- cutting mat
- rotary cutter
- safety pins
- tapestry needle
- carpet thread
Instructions on How to Rug Braid:
- Collect your scrap fabrics and cut them into strips that are 2-1/2" wide. Sew the ends together to create a longer strip of fabric. Make three of these long strips to start your braid.
- Now attach the strips to the clamp on a Rug Braiding Stand. This will keep your fabric stable and organized while you work on the rug. Begin braiding by pulling the outer strips to the inside creating a simple braid. After you have completed about twelve inches of braid, loosen the braid by pulling down on the lever and feed the coil to the back side of the stand. Now begin braiding again. Repeat this process. Add more strips to the end as needed to create a long braid.
- Disconnect the braid from the stand and lay your rug strips on the floor. Begin coiling the braid into the desired shape you want, either an oval or circle. You can use pins to secure it in the desired shape.
- Lastly, sew the coil together starting from the center of the rug and maintain the desired shape as you go. Keep your stitches visible from this top side, because once it is completed you will flip the rug over. Now the top is the bottom! Now admire your new rug.